posted Tuesday, February 8, 2011 by Rebecca Brooks
Since this will be my 7th year attending this exciting festival, I’d like to share my tips and tricks for those attending for the first time. Now if you are reading this and are a SOBE veteran, remember…nothing is obvious to the uninformed.
- Water is your best friend! At the Grand Tasting Tent they hand out water so drink to stay hydrated BUT also make sure to take a few back to the hotel. When you come home after a long night of parties, you will be so happy to have delicious H2O at your fingertips.
- Advil. Before you leave the hotel room at night, leave 2-3 sitting by your toothbrush to ensure you pop them before going to sleep.
- How to Pack:
- Flats or Wedges – Every year most women wear three+ inch heels to beach parties – they sink in the sand and are miserable. So remember that flats and wedges are the way to go.
- Sunscreen, stylish hats, sunglasses…enough said.
- Layers –The weather is so unpredictable – you will be the happiest person on the beach and inside at events with layers.
- Cash – Running around town taking cabs from event to event adds up so don’t be caught without cash…or have to run around searching for an atm. Bring cash and use the hotel safe – that’s what they are for.
- Leggings – Two years ago when it was warm weather, a few friends and clients were wearing short dresses for our evening event, but it got cold and windy (dresses flying in the air) so we ran to a store to buy leggings...bring them, they will come in handy.
- Over pack. I hate to recommend this, but between crazy weather and countless events and parties, a girl needs choices.
- Flip Flops – Perfect for day events - leave the Jimmy Choo flats in your room for evening. Trust me - the sand has a way of discoloring them forever.
- Carry on Bag: Pack a few key clothing and essential items in a carry on…lot’s of friends and clients have lost their luggage.
- Hospitality Suite. The Festival has a suite for talent, their people and media. It is a hidden gem managed by the nicest and most organized team. Stop by for a drink, snack, mingle or if you need any help or advice.
- PR People and Managers/Agents:
- FedEx two extra copies of clients itinerary, books, press kits, etc. One set for you, and one set for them. Why…you will be a hero!